Saturday, October 10, 2020

Where the heck have I been?

In the unlikely chance that someone will read this, I thought I'd just say hello and talk about what I've been doing since my last post nearly two years ago. Since then, I've disappeared from and then reappeared on social media and got a new job.

I'm currently in a job completely unrelated to anything I've ever done before. I'm working for a national home improvement store chain in the electrical department. I've learned so much about home electrical wiring and everything that goes with it and I'm really enjoying it. The hours are pretty crazy, but the work is usually enjoyable. After almost 4 years of retirement, I needed to get off my butt and do something productive again.

With all that said, I've recently started re-engaging with the DFIR world. This is because I missed learning cool new things and then experimenting with them on my own. From the first time I ever learned about digital forensics, I've been fascinated by it and all the different things that fall under the DFIR umbrella.

More importantly, I've missed the people. I made a lot of good friends over the years and I've lost touch with them for the most part, which I truly hate. So I've started trying to get back in touch with old friends and hope they're interested in being back in touch with me.

While I don't know if it's likely I'll ever work in any DFIR related job again, I still want to stay engaged with it. I love it and it's good for the brain to keep learning. That's why I've signed up for some free training courses and am working through them at the moment.

The courses I'm currently taking are both from Basis Technology. One is an introductory course called Intro to DFIR: The Divide and Conquer Process. The other Basis Tech course I'm taking is Autopsy Basics and Hands On. Both courses are online. I'm learning new investigative concepts, as well as being reminded of things I used to know and had forgotten about. I'm grateful to Basis for making these courses available.

My current plan, such as it is, is to continue these courses just to get my mind active on the subject(s) of DFIR. I've already started realizing just how much I've forgotten and how much has changed over the last few years. I'm excited to be thinking about these topics again. 

I reopened this blog in hopes it will prompt me to continue learning and writing about what I've learned. I always enjoyed writing and have missed doing it on a regular basis.

Be well and I'll be back with another post soon.

2 comments: