Saturday, July 22, 2023

Learning and Research Ideas

 What's this? Two, yes two posts. Not just in the same year, but even in the same month! What has gotten into me?

More Training

Yesterday, I completed a course I started a long while back but never finished. I signed up for the Autopsy 8 hour course from BasisTech (https://dfir-training.basistech.com/) and got around halfway through it but, as often happens with me I got distracted and went off in another direction (squirrel!!!). Since it had been a long time since I started it, I decided to start over from the beginning. I enjoyed the course, which was taught by no less than Brian Carrier himself. Psst, hey Brian...in the extremely unlikely event you're reading this, I'd love to see some more online training from you.

Anyway, the course covers general setup and then goes through the various included ingest modules and views you can use to analyze the data. It also covers the various ways of producing reports. If you're interested in Autopsy but haven't used it, I encourage you to check out this course.

Also this week, I started the Windows Forensic Environment (WinFE) training taught by Brett Shavers at DFIR.Training. I'm only a little ways into this course, but I'm enjoying it so far. One thing that I really like is how much Brett goes into great detail on each thing. He explains very well why and when to use WinFE as well as when you should not use it. I've just gotten to the part of the course where the student is shown how to create a version of WinFE called Mini WinFE. It's my goal after completing this training to then go through the WinFE Instructor training as well.

Thinking about Research

Something I've wanted to do for a long time is find a good research project to work on. There are so many fun things to learn and do in digital forensics and I know there is much still to learn. I've been trying to come up with an idea, but I'm still not sure what I want to work on.

 That's all I've got for now. Be well and I'll (hopefully) be back soon with a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment