Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Links and Stuff

Greetings! I promise, part 2 of my From China with Love? post is still going to happen. Life has been extremely busy as usual, but it is going to happen. Since the first post, I've shut down the honeypot that was used to get the file and have since opened a new honeypot. So far, I've collected another file and many many login attempts.

Next, I want to say congratulations and awesome job to David Cowen for completing 365 straight days of posting to his Hacking Exposed Computer Forensics Blog. I find it difficult to get 10 or 11 posts up a year, so I can't imagine coming up with a new one every single day. His Forensic Lunch and Sunday FunDay contests have also been an excellent way to learn more about CF and I thank him for his hard work.

Corey Harrell has an fantastic post on his Journey Into Incident Response blog: Improving Your Malware Forensics Skills. He goes through his process for conducting forensic analysis of an infected system and points out that establishing the process you will use should be the first step in the investigation. He talks about tools, setting up your test environment and describes various ways of infecting your test systems. It's a great post and I learned from it. I suspect you will too.

I'm excited that The Art of Memory Forensics, written by the core developers of the Volatility Framework will be released later this month. The front and back covers along with the table of contents and preview are already available to view on the Amazon page for the book. Without even seeing it yet, I will predict right now this book will be a strong contender for a Forensic 4cast Award next year.

From all the talk I've heard, it sounds like this year's SANS DFIR Summit in Austin, Tx was another first class event. I've been fortunate to attend twice and found the conference to be an excellent venue for learning and networking. Congrats to Rob Lee and everyone at SANS for another successful Summit. Wish I could have been there, but my funding didn't come through. Also, congrats to Lee Whitfield on another successful 4cast Awards. Congratulations to the nominees and winners as well!

A new learning opportunity has come about and I'm already signed up. Brett Shavers announced a new, FREE course on using the WindowsFE boot environment. From the course web page, "This course will give you everything you need to know in order to fully understand, build, use, and testify to the use of the Windows Forensic Environment." You can learn more and sign up on the Windows Forensic Environment course page.

Brett also announced a separate course he'll be releasing soon on the use of X-Ways Forensics. Brett, along with Eric Zimmerman, wrote the award winning X-Ways Forensics Practitioners Guide, so I know he knows what he's talking about when it comes to XWF.  Follow the book website  or Twitter account for details.

UPDATE: The class is now available at http://courses.dfironlinetraining.com/x-ways-forensics-practitioners-guide

UPDATE 2: Use discount code "xwf1" between now and July 17 to get a 25% discount on the course tuition.

That's all I have for now. Take care and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment